While the therapeutic use of cannabis for pets is a growing area of interest, the unintentional ingestion of marijuana by dogs, cats and other domesticated animals can have devastating consequences. Pets lack the ability to metabolize the psychoactive compounds found in cannabis properly, allowing the drug’s toxic elements to accumulate in their systems to potentially lethal levels.

The effects of cannabis toxicity in animals can range from mild incoordination and lethargy to life-threatening emergencies like respiratory failure, coma, and cardiovascular complications. Even small amounts of cannabis edibles, oils or other concentrated products ingested by a pet can induce severe intoxication due to the high THC content.

With more cannabis products present in households, the risk of accidental ingestion by curious pets is on the rise. Dogs, known for their indiscriminate eating habits, are especially vulnerable. However, no species is immune from the potential dangers of marijuana toxicity when exposed.

Responsible pet ownership requires diligent prevention by safely storing all cannabis away from pets and being able to recognize the signs of intoxication. Seeking immediate veterinary treatment is crucial in the event a pet does ingest cannabis, as decontamination procedures and intensive supportive care may be lifesaving measures.

Despite some promising areas of research, the unintended effects of cannabis on pets can have scary repercussions. Maintaining a “better safe than sorry” approach is critical for pet parents to avoid inadvertently endangering their furry companions.

Common symptoms seen after a pet accidentally ingests cannabis include

  • Disorientation, lethargy, incoordination
  • Difficulty breathing or abnormal rapid breathing
  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
  • Neurological problems such as tremors, seizures, twitching
  • Altered behavior, confusion
  • Low blood pressure, abnormally slow heart rate

In cases of significant cannabis ingestion, more serious conditions can develop such as

  • Coma, unconsciousness
  • Dangerously low blood pressure and shock
  • Hypothermia (low body temperature)
  • Respiratory and cardiovascular failure

If you suspect your pet has ingested cannabis, it is critical to seek emergency veterinary care immediately. Decontamination by inducing vomiting or giving activated charcoal may be necessary. Pets with severe intoxication may require intensive supportive care.

Cannabis edibles, oils, and other concentrated products pose the highest risk as they contain more potent levels of THC, the primary intoxicating compound. Even cannabis plants for pets material can be hazardous if consumed in large amounts by a pet.

Prevention is key – cannabis products should always be kept securely away from pets to avoid any accidental exposure. The effects of cannabis toxicity in animals can be life-threatening without proper treatment.

Pet owners should be aware of the very real dangers of pets ingesting cannabis products, whether accidentally or through misinformed intentional exposure. Veterinary guidance is essential in any suspected cannabis toxicity case.

This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.